Guido Samarani is Professor at Ca’ Foscari University, Venice, where he teaches History of China and History and Institutions of Asia. A member of the scientific committee of various journals, he is Guest Professor at the Research Center for the Study of China’s Modern and Contemporary History, Zhejiang University. He has been the Director of the International Research Project “A Controversial Friendship. Nationalist China and Italy, 1928-1947”, funded by the Chiang Chiang-kuo Foundation, 2003-2009. He has been Visiting Professor at Keio University and at the University of Heidelberg, and Visiting Researcher at the Fairbank Center, Harvard University and at Waseda University. From 2000 to 2006 he was member of the Board of the European Association of Chinese Studies and from 2000-2002 Vice-President and from 2002-2004 President of the Historical Society for 20th Century China. He served also at Ca’ Foscari University as the Director of the Department of East Asian Studies, the Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Civilizations and as a Member of the Senato Accademico.
- Lengzhan niandai de Yidali-Ouzhou yu Zhongguo guojixueshu yanjiu yandaohui (Essays from the International Symposium on Italy-Europe and China during the Cold War Years), ed. G. Samarani and S. Graziani, in Lengzhan guojishi yanjiu (Cold War International History Studies), 19/20, Summer/Winter 2015, pp. 1-118
- La Cina. Vol. III: Verso la modernità, a cura di G. Samarani e M. Scarpari, Torino, Einaudi, 2009, pp. XXXV + 1069
- ”Guomindang (1912-1949)” (with L. De Giorgi), in Oxford Bibliography in Chinese Studies, Ed. Tim Wright, New York, Oxford University Press, 2016
- “Italians in Nationalist China (1928-1945). Some case studies”, in Foreigners and Foreign Institutions in Republican China, ed. by Anne-Marie Brady and Douglas Brown, London and New York, Routledge, 2012, pp. 234-250
- Chiang Kai-shek and His Times, ed. by G. Samarani and L. De Giorgi, Ca Foscari University Press, 2017 (forthcoming)
Historical Relations between Italy and China; Political History of Republican China