I was born and grew up in Taiwan. I received my BA degree from National Taiwan University and worked as a research assistant, journalist and television screenwriter before I went to the UK to pursue postgraduate studies. I received my PhD from the Institute of Communications Studies (ICS), University of Leeds in 1998. Since then, I worked as a researcher at the University of Nottingham (1999–2005) and became Head of Chinese Studies at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC, 2005–2007). When I returned to the UK from China, I left the University of Nottingham and taught East Asian film industries at the ICS, University of Leeds (2007–2013).
I am currently a Research Associate at the Centre of Taiwan Studies, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London (2013-present), Senior Fellow at the China Policy Institute, University of Nottingham (2014-present) and Research Fellow, European Research Centre on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT), Tubingen University (2015-present). I am also Secretary-General, European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS, 2012-present).
- (eds with Kuei-fen Chiu and Gary Rawnsley) Taiwan Cinema: International Reception and Social Change. London: Routledge, 2017
- (eds with Gary Rawnsley) Routledge Handbook of Chinese Media. London: Routledge, 2015
- Discovering Taiwan Cinema (看見台灣電影之光), Taipei: Youth Culture, 2015 (in Chinese)
- ‘Cultural Democratization and Taiwan Cinema’, in Gunter Shubert (ed.), Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Taiwan. London: Routledge, 2016, pp.373–388
- (co-authored with Chien-San Feng) ‘Anti–Media-Monopoly Policies and Further Democratisation in Taiwan’, Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 43(3), October 2014: 105–128
- ‘Taiwanese-Language Cinema: State versus Market, National versus Transnational’, Oriental Archive 81 (2013), pp.437–458
- East Asian Cinema, especially Taiwan cinema and Chinese-language cinema
- The media and democratization in Taiwan and China
- Trans-disciplinary science communications and education in Taiwan and in the UK
Relevant web links